JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A viral video of pool electric shock is turning heads with pool season underway. The video shows three young girls unable to escape an electric jolt in Hialeah, Florida. Today, it has parents thinking about how safe their children are in pools.
The surveillance video from a condominium complex depicts the invisible, potentially deadly danger in a community swimming pool. The young girl is swimming like any child does, but when she grabs the handrail- she freezes after feeling the jolt. The young girl gets pulled out by an adult but then, another girl, is seen lying in the pool- frozen.
Mike Paluszyski is the President of Jacksonville-based Palace Pools.
"There are always ground wires and bond wires that are attached to the motors and heaters and things that like and sometimes an unqualified person can come in and change a piece of equipment out," said Paluszyski.
Paluszyski has been installing pools for thirty years. He says shock like this happens when the bond and ground wires are not in place- causing an open circuit.
So, what should you know before pool season gets into full swing?
Paluszyski says, "H omeowners should just be aware that those little copper wires that are on their swimming pool pumps and on their heaters...if they are not connected...they need to be reconnected."
Also, make sure clamps are tight. Paluszyski says your best bet before you splash is to call a licensed electrician. It will run you between $100 and $200 dollars in most Jacksonville locations.
"$150 dollars is small price to pay to keep you safe," said Paluszyski.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 13 people have died from electrocutions in swimming pools between 2002 and 2011. Experts recommend that you look for corroded stainless steel on the surface of the pool- that is sign of potential electrical problems.